DA looks into ‘carry out’ of NMSU players, personnel

A regional district attorney’s workplace is examining the “conduct” of New Mexico State males’s basketball players and staffers in connection with a high-profile shooting last month that included forward Mike Peake.Peake, a 21-year-old junior on the males’s basketball team, shot and killed Brandon Travis, a 19-year-old University of New Mexico student, on Nov. 19, in what cops have actually called a self-defense situation. Peake, who was suspended forever by NMSU this week, was also shot and underwent several surgeries at a local hospital before he was discharged.”The Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Workplace is actively working with the New Mexico State Cops to investigate the conduct of the New Mexico State University staff and players, “Lauren Rodriguez, a spokeswoman for the Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Workplace, stated in a statement.” We are still continuing to get proof concerning this case and will assess the materials as they are sent. “An authorities with New Mexico State cops said last month that the NMSU team bus was stopped on the highway by officers and after that launched as part of the investigation surrounding the shooting, which happened at a University of New Mexico dorm around 3 a.m. regional time that day. The authorities did not use specifics on why the team bus had been dropped in police.The school revealed Tuesday that it had employed an outside company to examine the event which it would be “transparent “with its findings.Head coach Greg Heiar and his personnel have all continued to coach because the Nov. 19 incident, which caused the postponement of the team’s rivalry game versus New Mexico that day.New Mexico State

stated players Marchelus Avery, Issa Muhammad and Anthony Roy were all suspended for one game and will miss out on Wednesday night’s matchup at Santa Clara.”No action has been taken against any coaches at this

time,”Justin Bannister, a university representative, told ESPN when inquired about possible discipline for the NMSU coaching staff.Per authorities, a 17-year-old lady conspired with Travis and

2 others to” lure “Peake to the New Mexico school where he was assaulted. A video of the occurrence released on Wednesday showed Peake running and shooting a weapon after 3 guys approached him and started to attack him.According to authorities, Travis shot at Peake who then fired the weapon he was carrying that night toward Travis, striking and killing him. The bitterness between the two parties comes from an earlier run-in at a New Mexico State-New Mexico football game in October, according to police.The 17-year-old woman and Jonathan Smith, a 19-year-old who was one of the males with Travis that night, have both been jailed and charged in connection with the shooting.Peake has not been charged.New Mexico State University authorities have said that having a weapon on school or at a university-affiliated event is a violation of the school’s trainee code of conduct.

Mario Moccia, NMSU’s athletic director, informed reporters on Monday that Peake would be suspended till the conclusion of the police and school investigations surrounding the incident. He would not comment about Peake

‘s registration status with the school.”Mike is suspended from our basketball team till the completion of the university’s examination and the examination of the correct authorities, “Moccia stated today.”When those investigations will be total, I can’t say.”On Wednesday night, Bannister reacted to a series of questions from ESPN about the continuous investigation around the deadly shooting.He said Peake’s suspension is tied to his possession of a firearm.”There were some specific offenses by Mike Peake that athletic director Mario Moccia felt necessitated an indefinite suspension, including bringing a weapon on a journey, “Bannister said through email.”While we can’t enter into specifics of Mike’s health, it was felt to be better to wait till he was out of the health center [to suspend him]”Bannister likewise said the school does not plan to delay or cancel any games

amidst the police and school investigations “at this time.””A timeframe has not yet been set on [the university’s investigation],” he added.” The focus will be on making sure we are doing this right.”Following his group’s 77-35 win over Simon Fraser, a Department II school, on Monday, Heiar said he was not enabled to comment because of the continuous investigations surrounding the fatal shooting or his team’s or personnel’s actions after the incident.

Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.